What the simplest way to do outgoing smtp?

Adam blueeskimo at gmx.net
Tue Jun 3 13:03:38 PDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-06-03 at 15:46, philip payne wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is a pretty basic question so I don't mind if the answer is an RTFM
> style link. ;-)
>
> I recently obtained some 3rd party POP3 mailboxes unrelated to my current
> ISP for email to a new domain... unfortunately my ISP's smtp server doesn't
> let me send any email addressed as anything other than it's own users, fair
> enough.
>
> I use FreeBSD as a network gateway and IPFW device but I'm a bit of an SMTP
> novice really.
>
> How and what can I configure to act as a sending SMTP server simply on
> FreeBSD?
>
> I don't need to receive email, the 3rd party will do that and host the POP3
> collection, but I need to be able to send email locally via something other
> than my ISP's smtp server.
>
> The reason I want to do it this way is that the IP address of my FreeBSD box
> is DHCP and subject to change, so it isn't suitable as the primary MX record
> for the new domain.

The absolute EASIEST way to set up SMTP is to use sSMTP .. It might be
too simplistic for you, but in many cases it is sufficient for someone
who only needs a barebones SMTP solution.

http://packages.debian.org/testing/mail/ssmtp.html
ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/mail/mta/

--
Adam <blueeskimo at gmx.net>