Multicast Routing Performance

Massimiliano Stucchi max at willystudios.com
Tue Jun 3 09:22:17 PDT 2003

On Tue, 3 Jun 2003 14:18:25 +0100 (BST)
Gavin Kenny <gavinkenny at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Does any one have any experience of using a FreeBSD
> Box as a multicast router?
>
> I have a PIII 800Mhz with two 100Mbps NICS, what kind
> of throughput can I expect to get out of this setup?
>

>From my past experiences, and given a P90 with 8mb of RAM capable of
routing 4 different 2mbit lines with 4 different nicks without a glitch,
I can say that your hardware can perform up to wire's maximum capacity.
Maybe it depends on what else other than routing services you have to
run on that machine, but I don't think that would be a problem.

Ciao ciao

--

Stucchi Massimiliano     | Gruppo Utenti FreeBSD Italia
WillyStudios.com         | http://www.gufi.org
stucchi at willystudios.com | max at gufi.org
"People who make no mistakes do not usually make anything"