Vinum performance

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jun 2 17:55:34 PDT 2003

On Monday,  2 June 2003 at 17:48:23 -0700, Jaye Mathisen wrote:
> On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 07:48:45PM +0930, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>> On Friday, 30 May 2003 at 11:16:06 +0200, Per olof Ljungmark wrote:
>>> Using Vinum on 4.7-RELEASE-p10, I wonder what can be done to optimize
>>> performance. So far I am not impressed but perhaps I did not configure
>>> Vinum optimal, grateful for any hints thanks.
>>
>> You haven't said what your problem is.  It definitely depends on your
>> application (which may simply be the way you measure it).
>>
>> FWIW, the stripe size should be a multiple of the file system block
>> size.  Yes, the man pages don't necessarily say that, but it's also
>> not so important.
>
> Hmmm, I thought the consensus was to use a weird stripe size to avoid
> getting all the inode/superblock stuff on 1 disk.

Correct, for some definition of "weird".

> I seem to recall somebody saying somethingabout using stripe sizes
> like 273k and such...

Yes, I once said that.  Then it occurred to me that many transfers are
complete file system blocks.  If you have a stripe size which isn't a
multiple of the block size, you'll end up with more transfers split
across two devices, which has a negative effect on performance.

Greg