Really Crazy SMTP Problem

Michael Collette metrol at metrol.net
Thu Jul 31 22:07:49 PDT 2003

Eric,

Not knowing what all you've got configured exactly, here's a couple of
possible guesses to weed out the basics.

Can you do a reverse DNS lookup on your mail server?  In other words, perform
a whois on the IP address and get a legit domain name.  Many servers require
this in order to keep out obvious spammers.

You should also triple check and make sure that you have SMTP open to come
back to you from the outside world.  SMTP requires open ports coming in as
well as going out.  Check your TCP Wrappers and whether or not IPFW or
IPFilters is in the mix.

Later on,

--
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is."