can't connect to the network

Bsd Neophyte bsdneophyte at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 31 19:02:39 PDT 2003

i'm running FreeBSD 4.8 on one of my machines.  i'm having a really
frustrating problem.  i cannot connec to anything outside of the
interface.

i've quarduple checked that the NIC is assigned an address with the same
subnet as my network.  i can ping the ip address on the NIC, but i can't
ping any other device on the network.

i had firewall options in my rc.conf, but they are all commented out
(quadruple checked that too).

any ideas on how i can resolve this matter?