Dual booting FreeBSD and Windows XP

Jud judmarc at fastmail.fm
Thu Jul 31 09:29:28 PDT 2003

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 17:55:25 -0400 (EDT), "Jerry McAllister"
<jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu> said:

> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a computer with Windows XP installed on it.
> > I want to dual boot it with FreeBSD.
> > My question is: does FreeBSD's boot loader support loading XP?
> > Because I've heard XP doesn't like it's MBR being overwritten. Is this
> > true?
>
> I believe both statements are true.
> Anyway, you can boot XP with FreeBSD's MBR and that's the important one.
>
> ////jerry

I see most of the usual suspects have weighed in - may as well complete
the list.  :-)

Jerry's right and so's Adam.  I happen to be using GAG right now, because
it's pretty automagic and I have a slightly complicated setup.

I'd recommend that even if you decide to use the FreeBSD bootloader or
GAG that you also have a look at the online FAQ and Google this list.
These resources as well as the man pages and the online Handbook will
stand you in good stead as you continue with FreeBSD.

Jud