Help PLEASE! on proper kernel config file to use serial ports with puc driver

J. Seth Henry jshamlet at comcast.net
Thu Jul 31 07:34:16 PDT 2003

All you need in your kernel config is 'device puc'. You already appear
to have this in your config, as your system detected the adapter.

You will have to "sh MAKEDEV cuaa<n>" (where 0 < n < NUM_PORTS) to get
the device nodes in your /dev directory.

Alternately, since they have sequential minor numbers, you can make them
yourself.

'mknod cuaa0 c 28,128 root:wheel'
'mknod cuaa1 c 28,129 root:wheel'
'mknod cuaa2 c 28,130 root:wheel'
'mknod cuaa3 c 28,131 root:wheel'
'mknod cuaa4 c 28,131 root:wheel'
'mknod cuaa5 c 28,131 root:wheel'

You can also do this for the tty<d/ld/id> nodes as well.

I prefer making the nodes myself, but the MAKEDEV script will do the
same thing.

Good luck,
Seth Henry