Apache/1.3.28 will not bind to other port

Mark admin at asarian-host.net
Thu Jul 31 06:56:26 PDT 2003

This is odd. Just compiled and installed Apache/1.3.28. So, I figure I play
around with it a bit, untill I am sure I get it working properly. So, I
added this to httpd.conf:

#
# Port: The port to which the standalone server listens. For
# ports < 1023, you will need httpd to be run as root initially.
#

Port 90

But it would not start, and the error log says:

[Thu Jul 31 15:36:26 2003] [crit] (48)Address already in use: make_sock:
could not bind to port 80

Yes, I know this. :) That is why I set it to port 90 for the moment. Any one
seeing something I dreadfully missed? I compiled, install and ran
Apache/1.3.28 on the Vmware box first, where it works great. But on the real
server, I want to test out a few things further first; hence, port 90.

Thanks in advance,

- Mark