How to get the software

lukek lukek at meibin.net
Thu Jul 31 06:50:13 PDT 2003

hey Pal,
check out the website they have the full list of mirrors for downloading
FreeBSD.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/mirrors-ftp.html

is the best place to start your search. You want to have in the back of your
mind also that there are quite a few different branches of the software so
let me answer your next question which would be " Which version do I want?"

For most intents and purposes you will want FreeBSD4.8-Release. This is the
newest release of the more stable 4.x branch. There is a 5.x branch but if
you are new to FreeBSD and indeed new to *nix software and environments then
4.8 will bring you a much more stable and simplified experience. Having said
all of that the choice is entirely up to you.

Another recommendation is that you purchase a copy of the Handbook by Greg
Lehey. It will come with a copy of the CD as well as a pretty comprehensive
guide to getting yourself up and running with all the basics. Again the
decision to purchase is up to you.

here is a place to look for that

http://www.bsdmall.com/freebsd1.html

happy hacking