Mirroring Vinum Volumes - importance of subdisk sequence on mirror device

Richard Johannesson rtjohan at syspres.com
Wed Jul 30 13:56:02 PDT 2003

Question:
Is it important that the sequence plexes/sub-disks get created in for the
primary drive and the mirrored drive be the same? Any performance penalty?

I'm guessing that a different sub-disk creation order will put the sub-disks
in different places on a disk.

Background - if needed:
Have 10 vinum volumes being mapped by 10 plexes to the root drive.

To get mirroring, I created plexes/sub-disks for swap, root, and usr using
the specific offsets for each on the 2nd hdd device and map them back to
their specific volumes they should be mirroring.

When I start creating the other plexes/sub-disks on the 2nd hdd and map them
back to the volume already setup, I won't be using specific offsets.

Thanks,
Richard