FW: Mirroring tool? web snake? getbot?

Peter Leftwich Hostmaster at Video2Video.Com
Tue Jul 29 22:16:51 PDT 2003

Er, sort of cancel that.  By luck, "Aria" falls at the early part of the
alphabet and I seem to have found just the right graphical tool that can
recurse X levels deep.

The only problem is ... I think it respects a site's ".robots" or
"robots.txt" file (this is bad).  We'll see what I can come up with.

It sure would be nice -- and worth registering just for the feature -- if
Opera could download all files ending in "X" on current page and maintain
(mirror) directory structure locally (to hard disk)!!  The research goes on.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster at Video2Video.Com>
To: SDBUG <SDBug at SDBug.Org>
Cc: FreeBSD Questions LIST <FreeBSD-Questions at FreeBSD.Org>
Subject: Mirroring tool? web snake? getbot?
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 21:54:39 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all.  I'm searching and searching the (X11 / GUI) ports at
www.freebsd.org and www.freshmeat.net but I was wondering if some of you
could help me with a better, targeted keyword that describes this kind of
tool or application?

All I'd like is a graphical tool that prompts the user for a URL then
proceeds to mirror that URL to the working directory or to a "base"
directory specified in its preferences.  It would also be nice to filter by
URL's ending in ___ for example, .jpg, .jpeg, .mp3, and so forth.

I used a command line tool called "httrack" for many months until I found
that upon each successive run of the program, it deletes the results of the
last run!  Stupid!

Thanks for any ideas you all may have.

--
Peter Leftwich
President & Founder, Video2Video Services