5.1 Hangs on boot

Eivind Olsen eivind at aminor.no
Tue Jul 29 12:10:39 PDT 2003

--On 28. juli 2003 16:40 +0200 Hasse <webmaster at swedehost.com> wrote:
> Stopping at Entropy harvesting.
> I have to press "CTRL+C" to continue booting.
> Then everything works as it's supposed to. ( I think ? )
> Frankly, I don't have a clue on what I'm doing,
> but I've disabled ACPI in my /boot/device.hints file
> to get my floppy drive to work, and I've commented out all
> SCSI devices exept device scbus, and all Raid in my kernel,
> because I don't have any.

I've had the same thing happen here with RELENG_5_1.
When you have managed to log in, run "sysctl -a" and see if that one also
hangs (it's being run as part of the initrandom-stuff).
If "sysctl -a" hangs too, you might run "top" to see that "sysctl -a"
consumes all your CPU. You can kill sysctl with CTRL-C or a kill-command.

My solution was to go back to the GENERIC kernel and just add the three
IPFILTER-options I needed there. With my custom kernel I'd see this problem.

I saw this problem 2-3 days ago and haven't had time to look deeper into
WHY it's failing (or filing a PR) since I've also had to actually get
FreeBSD installed on that server.

If anyone's interested, here's some information:

When running "sysctl -a" lots of output is shown, but then it hangs. Here
are the last few lines it shows:

[...]
net.inet.ipf.fr_authused: 0
net.inet.ipf.fr_defaultauthage: 600
net.inet.ipf.fr_chksrc: 0
net.inet.ipf.ippr_ftp_pasvonly: 0
net.inet.ipf.fr_minttl: 3
net.inet.ipf.fr_minttllog: 1
^C
vimes#

Compiled sysctl with "DEBUG_FLAGS" set (but they might not be set
correctly), started that sysctl, killed it with "kill -SEGV" when it is
looping to produce sysctl.core:

vimes# gdb sysctl -c sysctl.core
GNU gdb 5.2.1 (FreeBSD)
conditions.
This GDB was configured as "i386-undermydesk-freebsd"...
Core was generated by `sysctl'.
#0  0x0805cd1b in __sysctl ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x0805cd1b in __sysctl ()
#1  0x08052032 in sysctl ()
#2  0x080490af in show_var (oid=0xbfbffb00, nlen=-1077939624) at
/usr/src/sbin/sysctl/sysctl.c:507
#3  0x08049710 in sysctl_all (oid=0x0, len=0) at
/usr/src/sbin/sysctl/sysctl.c:636
#4  0x0804836f in main (argc=0, argv=0xbfbffc28) at
/usr/src/sbin/sysctl/sysctl.c:141
#5  0x08048145 in _start ()
(gdb) quit
vimes#

I have no idea if this is _any_ help to anyone whatsoever.

vimes# uname -a
FreeBSD vimes.eivind 5.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE #0: Sun Jul 27
16:22:34 CEST 2003     root at vimes.eivind:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/VIMES  i386
vimes#

I'm tracking RELENG_5_1 and I csvup'ed just a few hours before this
(sometime between 08:00 and 09:00 CET on the 27th of July).

Here's all the stuff I'd left in my VIMES kernel-config:

machine         i386
cpu             I686_CPU
ident           VIMES
options         SCHED_4BSD              #4BSD scheduler
options         INET                    #InterNETworking
options         INET6                   #IPv6 communications protocols
options         FFS                     #Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options         SOFTUPDATES             #Enable FFS soft updates support
options         UFS_ACL                 #Support for access control lists
options         UFS_DIRHASH             #Improve performance on big
directories
options         MD_ROOT                 #MD is a potential root device
options         NFSCLIENT               #Network Filesystem Client
options         NFSSERVER               #Network Filesystem Server
options         NFS_ROOT                #NFS usable as root device,
requires NFSCLIENT
options         MSDOSFS                 #MSDOS Filesystem
options         CD9660                  #ISO 9660 Filesystem
options         PROCFS                  #Process filesystem (requires
PSEUDOFS)
options         PSEUDOFS                #Pseudo-filesystem framework
options         COMPAT_43               #Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP
THIS!]
options         COMPAT_FREEBSD4         #Compatible with FreeBSD4
options         SCSI_DELAY=15000        #Delay (in ms) before probing SCSI
options         KTRACE                  #ktrace(1) support
options         SYSVSHM                 #SYSV-style shared memory
options         SYSVMSG                 #SYSV-style message queues
options         SYSVSEM                 #SYSV-style semaphores
options         _KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING #Posix P1003_1B real-time
extensions
options         KBD_INSTALL_CDEV        # install a CDEV entry in /dev
                                        # output.  Adds ~128k to driver.
                                        # output.  Adds ~215k to driver.
options         DDB                     #Enable the kernel debugger
device          isa
device          pci
device          fdc
device          ata
device          atadisk                 # ATA disk drives
device          atapicd                 # ATAPI CDROM drives
options         ATA_STATIC_ID           #Static device numbering
device          scbus           # SCSI bus (required)
device          atkbdc          # AT keyboard controller
device          atkbd           # AT keyboard
device          psm             # PS/2 mouse
device          vga             # VGA video card driver
device          splash          # Splash screen and screen saver support
device          sc
options         SC_DISABLE_DDBKEY
device          agp             # support several AGP chipsets
device          npx
device          pmtimer
device          sio             # 8250, 16[45]50 based serial ports
device          ppc
device          ppbus           # Parallel port bus (required)
device          lpt             # Printer
device          miibus          # MII bus support
device          fxp             # Intel EtherExpress PRO/100B (82557, 82558)
device          random          # Entropy device
device          loop            # Network loopback
device          ether           # Ethernet support
device          tun             # Packet tunnel.
device          pty             # Pseudo-ttys (telnet etc)
device          md              # Memory "disks"
device          gif             # IPv6 and IPv4 tunneling
device          faith           # IPv6-to-IPv4 relaying (translation)
device          stf
device          bpf             # Berkeley packet filter
options         DEVICE_POLLING
options         HZ=1000
options         DUMMYNET
options         IPFIREWALL
options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE
options         IPFIREWALL_FORWARD
options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=100
options         IPV6FIREWALL
options         IPV6FIREWALL_VERBOSE
options         IPV6FIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=100
options         IPDIVERT
options         IPFILTER
options         IPFILTER_LOG
options         IPFILTER_DEFAULT_BLOCK
options         NETSMB
options         NETSMBCRYPTO
options         LIBMCHAIN
options         LIBICONV
options         QUOTA
options         RANDOM_IP_ID
options         SMBFS
device          snp
makeoptions     ATKBD_DFLT_KEYMAP="norwegian.iso"

I haven't had time to experiment with this kernel config just yet so I'm
not sure exactly what can be wrong.

--
Regards / Hilsen
Eivind Olsen