PIII SMP

Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg listsub at 401.cx
Tue Jul 29 02:21:56 PDT 2003

freebsd_deamon at gmx.net wrote:

>dear list,
>
>buying two PIII for a dual system ... what do i have to pay attention to
>(besides the requirements of the M/B)?
>aka ... are all PIII SMP capable?
>
>thanks

Make sure the stepping is identical.

Some motherboards require Tualatin's to be able to run dual, others will
happily run even Celeron CPU's in smp.
I personally run a Dell Poweredge 1500SC motherboard with two Tualatin
1.13GHz PIII's, and Ive had no problems at all with it. I also run a MSI
649D-Pro motherboard with two PIII 1Ghz (not Tualatin) which also works
great, but performance wise it's no match for the dual Tualatin.

I would say Tualatin's are youre best bet, they are a little expensive
but they work great in dual systems, thats what they are designed for.
Just make sure your motherboard can handle Tualatins.