Server spinning out of control...

Rus Foster rghf at fsck.me.uk
Mon Jul 28 14:56:31 PDT 2003

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003, Jamie wrote:

>     That is a good idea, thanks. We did check that though. Went through
> each user's accounts checking their .forwards and procmaillrc files.
>
>     We are running spamassassin 2.55, and in the global procmailrc file we
> call spamc which connects to a spamd running on another machine.
>
>     Are you aware of any other system utilities that might be used to
> trace CPU consumption and trap problems? We've taken a lot of stabs in the
> dark with what it could be, and we'd like to try some solid diagnostic
> utils to shed more light.
>
>    - Jamie

I'm not sure if this will work on 3.4 but try the following

have vmstat running so you can see why the load is jumping. It could be
disk I/O issues or memory.

Also you want to track which processes are just starting. Do a google for
freebsd system accouting to see if that can be turned on.

HTH

Rgds

Rus

www: http://jvds.com   | Virtual Servers from just $15/mo
MSNM: support at jvds.com | Totally Customizable Technology
e: rghf at jvds.com       | forums: http://forums.jvds.com
       10% donation to FreeBSD.org on each purchase