New Laptop

Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg listsub at 401.cx
Sun Jul 27 23:38:32 PDT 2003

Thanjee Neefam wrote:

>I am considering buying a new laptop (my current one is a Dell Inspiron
>PII-233 without a CD Drive (it broke :( ))
>
>I just simply want to know if there is a particluar range of laptops that
>work better with FreeBSD. ie: they use totally standard quality hardware,
>no panic on installs, also good value for money.
>
>I have had all good experiences with my Dell Inspiron regarding FreeBSD,
>but
>the time has come to improve my hardware.
>
>Cheers :)
>/////////// thanjee at fastmail.fm \\\\\\\\\\\
>AAFE Audio, Amiga and FreeBSD Enthusiast :p
>\\\\\\\\\ http://www.fastmail.fm //////////

Ive been using a Dell Latitude C840 for 6 or so months now, and Ive had
very little if any problems with it.
Onboard nic works great, PCMCIA is no problem, sound and graphics in X
worked on first try, even the dockingstation and its extra connections
works great under FreeBSD. The only thing I havent tried is the onboard
modem. It might work, I just never tried since I havent had any use for it.
The Latitude is one of Dell's top modells, so you could easily find a
cheaper laptop. However, if you dont mind paying a few extra bucks, its
worth it.