qpopper pop3 and SSL experiences

Brent Sims brent at webokay.net
Sun Jul 27 14:16:42 PDT 2003

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003, Matt Staroscik wrote:

> To make a long story short, I have been unable to get qpopper 4.0.5 + SSL
> to work with Eudora 5.2.1. Using my self-signed cert I can get a secure
> connection to Apple's OS X mail client, but not Mac or Windows Eudora. On
> the Mac I see handshake errors, on Windows I get errors which I may be able
> to get around but without Mac support it isn't worth it.

	Some versions of Eudora have a bug in their SSL implimentation.
There's no work around as Eudora itself is, or at least was, broken. The
details escape me but a bit of googling should prove to be enlightening.

> Has anyone found a pop3 daemon with SSL support that works with a wide
> variety of email clients? Oh, FWIW my MTA is Exim and I should be able to
> switch to maildir instad of /var/ mail storage easily enough, if required,
> as the system is not in production yet.

	We may get some flames for this but we have long used Washington
University's POP deamon on our production servers and our experience is
that it supports POP clients that are not broken quite nicely.

	Best Regards,

	Brent

	Brent Sims, Customer Satisfaction Manager
	WebOkay Internet Services, LLC
	http://www.webokay.net/
	Phone (719) 595-1427