Auth fails partly for imap

Sun Jul 27 09:37:10 PDT 2003

> Hi,

Hi!

> We use plaintext over SSL. For pine to work we add the following line
> in the pine.conf
>
> disable-these-authenticators=CRAM-MD5
>
> Hope that helps. Use with care over insecure connections.

Hi!

That helped! Now I can log into my IMAP account even with Pine. I will
use SSL to secure the authentication though.

Oddly though even the login from Pine worked after the initial
installation and configuration of FreeBSD and all other applications.
Now I moved the server from an internal network to the Internet and if I
can remember correctly Pine failed after this move. Any ideas why the
change of IP (and hostname) would cause this kind of behaviour? Have I
missed some setting somewhere with PAM or something?

I have this in my /var/log/messages and it from the time the server was
on the internal net:

Jul 25 18:39:50 silakka imapd[5956]: login:
localhost.milkyway[127.0.0.1] kypeli CRAM-MD5 User logged in

This must be from Pine since Mozilla and webmail use plain text. Now I
am even more confused :)

Best regards,
Johan Paul