DVD/CD-RW not recognized (was: Re:)

Mica Telodico maria_libera2000 at yahoo.it
Sat Jul 26 01:41:03 PDT 2003

Hi all again :D

I've made some triee , and these are the results:

Normal Configuration
ATA1 Master: MAXTOR HD 60GB
     Slave : Liteon 52x 24x 52x

ATA2 Master: Quantum Fireball HD 30GB
     Slave : NEC DV-5800

I get the problems described in the previous messages

New Conf
ATA1 Master: Maxtor HD 60GB
     Slave : Quantum Fireball HD 30GB
ATA2 Master: Liteon 52x 24x 52x
     Slave : NEC DV-5800

No problems. All works correctly (both CD drives are
initialized)

I don't know why this, probably my MoBo is a bit slow
in responding with ATA devices when have to initialize
them. I had some problems with my precedent CDRW (a
philips 8x 4x 32x) , but this time with Linux too
(hang at boot) . Linux have solved this problem (I've
posted a bug report to Vojitek Pavlik that have worked
to eliminate this problem) , but FreeBSD have this
again (but with my old CDRW the drive didn't work with
all possible configuration , with this one changing
the position of the drives solves the problem ) now ,
I think that could be a good idea increase the timeout
time , in order to eliminate this problem in the
future and make FreeBSD more compatible with ATA
drives and ATA Controllers, at the cost of some
millisecond longer boot-time :)

Bye
Marcello

 --- Fierman <fierman at puscii.nl> ha scritto: > On Fri,