Dynamic Hostname Assignment

Rod Person rod.person at hotpop.com
Fri Jul 25 20:19:17 PDT 2003

On 25 Jul 2003 03:49:15 +0000
Shawn <drevil at warpcore.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 2003-07-25 at 03:37, Rod Person wrote:
> > I assume your isp uses DHCP. If so, did you try ifconfig_xl0="DHCP" in your /etc/rc.conf.
>
> First that's already set, I selected DHCP configuration of the network
> interface during setup and installation. That's how my IP address gets
> assigned. It's only the hostname that isn't being dynamically assigned
> for some reason. This is what puzzles me because previous Linux
> distributions I've used have all done this without any extra
> intervention on my part.

Does you host name get set to anything at all? Did you accidently set the hostname in your rc.conf in /etc or /etc/defaults? If that not set may host name becomes a hostname set by DHCP which is a long string containing the ip address. Only if I've set hostname to something else do it give me something else.

--
Rod

@ Home So No Cool Signature
http://opensourcebeef.bsd.st