Host name for sendmail.]

Steve Devine steve at devinecreations.com
Fri Jul 25 17:22:46 PDT 2003

Quite often this happens because you dont have a valid hostname that maps
to  a ip address. This is a problem when you are using a dsl or cable
modem with Dynamis ips. I suggest you look into a Dynamic dns service. I
use dyndns.org for a free hostname / dns service. They run on the Freebsd
platform.
/sd
> On Fri, 25 Jul 2003, Constantine wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a FreeBSD 4.8 box, I run it for my local small home network  I
use it as a router. My DSL-modem has a NAT feature, and FreeBSD does
not have any routable ip-address, only the modem does.

>> My sendmail always complains about the domain name every time I start
my FreeBSD, and the system is hanging for 2 minutes, until the sendmail
finally starts. What I want to do, is to keep my own sendmail (I use it
as my smtp-server), but I do not want the system to wait 2 minutes
until the sendmail starts. What can I do?

> Hi!
>
> Well, do the following:
>
> in /etc/hosts, enter your domain name.
>
> then, edit the file: /etc/mail/service.switch (or the corresponding file
location defined in sendmail.cf) with the values :
> files dns
>
> to make sendmail first look in /etc/hosts and then try to resolve via DNS.
>
> Alternatively, in sendmail.cf there is the option to specify the own
host name in case sendmail cannot determine it automagically.

> BTW: sendmail wants some FQDN, like cnts.local or something. Missing
dots are iritating to sendmail.