file table is full - but not...?

Jez Hancock jez.hancock at munk.nu
Fri Jul 25 15:11:55 PDT 2003

On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 12:59:11AM -0400, Dave [Hawk-Systems] wrote:
> Jul 24 23:11:50 web1 /kernel: le: table is full
> Jul 24 23:11:50 web1 /kernel: file: table is full
File table in this context refers to the table that keeps track of open
files I believe, not how full your disk is or how many inodes are used
up.

For more info checking out the tuning(7) manpage, particularly the
section starting 'LOADER TUNABLES' (although it's all good stuff:):

     kern.maxusers controls the scaling of a number of static system tables,
     including defaults for the maximum number of open files, sizing of net-
     work memory resources, etc.  As of FreeBSD 4.5, kern.maxusers is automat-
     ically sized at boot based on the amount of memory available in the sys-
     tem, and may be determined at run-time by inspecting the value of the
     read-only kern.maxusers sysctl.  Some sites will require larger or
     smaller values of kern.maxusers and may set it as a loader tunable; val-
     ues of 64, 128, and 256 are not uncommon.	We do not recommend going
     above 256 unless you need a huge number of file descriptors; many of the
     tunable values set to their defaults by kern.maxusers may be individually
     overridden at boot-time or run-time as described elsewhere in this docu-
     ment.  Systems older than FreeBSD 4.4 must set this value via the kernel
     config(8) option maxusers instead.

You can check the number of files open, max number of files available
etc etc by running 'sysctl -a | grep file':

kern.maxfiles: 8168
kern.maxfilesperproc: 7351
kern.openfiles: 419

--