Problem with periodically done scripts

Daniel Bye dan at slightlystrange.org
Fri Jul 25 12:51:12 PDT 2003

On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 10:28:30PM +0300, Vitali Malicky wrote:

> > It seems now, that my /etc/master.passwd is really broken.
> > Have anybody an idea, how to recreate it ?
>
> if you have a backup in /var/backups then you might extricate yourself of
> the situation. but there are backups only for two days...

I thought it was two edits' worth of backups?  As long as Peter hasn't made
more than two edits on the master file since the problem first occurred, he
should be OK.

Peter - if the backup copies were made before you first noticed the problem,
I think you can copy one of them back to /etc/master.passwd (but make a copy
of the current one first!) and run `vipw' to rebuild the database.

Dan

--
Daniel Bye

PGP Key fingerprint: 3B9D 8BBB EB03 BA83 5DB4 3B88 86FC F03A 90A1 BE8F
                                                                     _
                                              ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
                                         - against HTML, vCards and  X
                                - proprietary attachments in e-mail / \