What version of BSD should I use

David Benfell benfell at parts-unknown.org
Fri Jul 25 11:36:13 PDT 2003

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 19:54:15 +0200, Peter Rosa wrote:
> >> And what should I do with my new book
> >> (900 pages about configuring this mega program) ?
> >
> >900 pages about configuring which mega program?
>
> Of course, it is about sendmail.

To my knowledge, the only reason for using sendmail is that so many
people have used it for so long.  As others have noted, the
configuration is horrible and it has a disastrous security history.

My experience with sendmail is that every time I wind up using it, it
soon starts misbehaving.

I know some people who like postfix.  I like qmail.  I don't know
anyone who actually chooses sendmail -- it's just part of the package
they get when they install an operating system.

And, obviously, there are people out there who have successfully used
Sendmail for (seems like) decades.  There are also, obviously, people
who manage to avoid mucking up its configuration and breaking it.  I
happen not to fall into either of these categories.

Given the security history and configuration difficulties, I don't
know how anyone can argue that sendmail is a reliable and safe tool,
except perhaps in the hands of a rather expensive expert.  I also
don't know anyone who considers it particularly efficient.

So I don't know why anyone would choose sendmail.

--
David Benfell, LCP
benfell at parts-unknown.org
---