What version of BSD should I use

Kenneth Culver culverk at yumyumyum.org
Fri Jul 25 09:55:20 PDT 2003

> Sendmail works fine in FreeBSD 4.8.  Named is considered insecure
> because people use it.  If you pick another product to be "safe", make
> sure no one uses it.  Any suggestion on this list would be to popular
> to be "safe".  As I said in my last email, people find holes in popular
> software more often because they are looking.

Sendmail "works" fine, but it's slow and is really nasty to configure
properly, which is why I suggested postfix. Named is considered insecure
because it's insecure. It's a big program with lots of past exploits, and
new ones being discovered very often. djbdns is very small, and has yet to
have a single exploit found. (It's possible that's because people don't
use it as much) I've also found that djbdns is significantly faster than
named and easier to configure.

> If you keep your software up to date, you are "safe" from named or
> sendmail exploits.  This is true on all platforms and will remain true.
> (well ok microsoft doesn't fix everything)

You may be right here, but certain pieces of software have a history of
being buggy and easily exploited; sendmail and named fit this description.

Ken