What version of BSD should I use

Peter Rosa prosa at pro.sk
Fri Jul 25 09:30:39 PDT 2003

Hello everybody,

I have spent a lot of time on FreeBSD.org web pages, but I still can not
find
VERY SIMPLE answer for this question:
what version of FreeBSD should I use ?

I need system which is VERY STABLE, with as few possibilities to hack as
possible
(the best is absolutely closed :-) ), running only named, sendmail, samba,
apache, php,
perl, and firewall. It will be used also as a gateway to I-net for small
company, so it
MUST be SAFE, STABLE and nice. That is what I want.
On the other side, it is possible to download FreeBSDs from 4.7 to 5.1.

Currently, I run 4.3, and I have problems, because there is no milter
support in sendmail,
I can not use some commercial SW as it wants higher version etc. But I like
it...

I think, older is better, but I will not have support for some new
technologies.
And I think, the newest is good, but all new SW has some bugs - meaning it's
UNSAFE.
Less bugs = BETTER and SAFER life.

What is your consideration - what version should I use ?

Peter Rosa