Bandwidth needed for DNS server?

george donnelly list at zettai.net
Fri Jul 25 09:27:38 PDT 2003

[Dragoncrest wrote (dragoncrest at voyager.net) on 7/25/03 12:06 AM]

> Hi again all.  Looking to go into the next stage of our move to Linux by
> implementing an internal authoritative DNS server.

why not move to FreeBSD instead? you're already posting to the
freebsd-questions list. ;) (yes FreeBSD is not linux)

> I only expect to hold
> zones for 4 different domains on it for now, so I'm not expecting much from
> it, but I'm curious how much bandwidth usage to plan for.

very minor I would say, tho of course it depends on the traffic to those
domains and other factors, but very small, like in the 1GB and less range
for the dns stuff.

> Right now our
> ISP does all our DNS, but I'd like to take it in house if possible so we
> have direct control over it.  If all our TTL's are set to 24 hours, what
> could I expect to see as far as an increase in bandwidth usage by doing
> this?  I'd like to be able to plan how and where I'm going to implement
> this so as to have the least impact on our network.

and don't forget not to use Bind. try tinydns or another small, fast,
easy-to-administer and secure dns server.

<-->
george donnelly ~ http://www.zettai.net/ ~ "Quality Zope Hosting"
Shared and Dedicated Zope Hosting ~ Zope Servers ~ Zope Websites
Yahoo, AIM: zettainet ~ MSN: zettainet at hotmail.com ~ ICQ: 51907738