I want using FreeBSD, but...

Matthew Graybosch matthew at starbreaker.net
Fri Jul 25 08:59:12 PDT 2003

On Friday 25 July 2003 05:54 am, Rissland, Thorsten wrote:
> ...i'm a christian.
>
> Why is the Logo of FreeBSD an devil????
> What have an oparating System to do with the devil????

Lighten up. FreeBSD has nothing whatsoever to do with Ahriman, Hades,
Lucifer Son of Morning, Nyarlathotep the Crawling Chaos, Duke Arioch
of the Seven Darks, or even big ol' Satan himself.

We just use the red cartoon imp because it's a cute mascot; his name
is Beastie, by the way. The pitchfork represents the fork() system
call.

> Of course, there is something like daemon's (under Windows called
> services) but this is not the meaning of deamon!!!

A Unix daemon is a "Disk And Execution MONitor".

> So what has this to with an Deamon???

If you're concerned with the original meaning of daemon, know that
daemon was originally a Greek word used to denote the spirits midway
between mortals and gods. These daemon spirits were sometimes
benevolent and sometimes malevolent, depending on the daemon in
question. It was the early Church fathers that corrupted the meaning
of the word "daemon".

Here's the Webster's definition:

Demon \De"mon\, n. [F. d['e]mon, L. daemon a spirit, an evil
   spirit, fr. Gr. ? a divinity; of uncertain origin.]
   1. (Gr. Antiq.) A spirit, or immaterial being, holding a
      middle place between men and deities in pagan mythology.

            The demon kind is of an intermediate nature between
            the divine and the human.             --Sydenham.

   2. One's genius; a tutelary spirit or internal voice; as, the
      demon of Socrates. [Often written d[ae]mon.]

   3. An evil spirit; a devil.

            That same demon that hath gulled thee thus. --Shak.

--
Matthew Graybosch
http://www.starbreaker.net