Is it possible to read BIOS setting?

Pranav A. Desai pdesai1 at cs.uh.edu
Thu Jul 24 14:26:49 PDT 2003

Hi!

This is what I am trying to do ...
If the hard disk fails (or becomes un-bootable) I would change the BIOS
setting to boot from second disk or maybe from cdrom, repair or reimage
the hard disk and reboot the box.

I would like to automate this process, so that I dont have to be
physically present at the box. In fact, a script or program can activate
this on an event like hard disk error etc. kind of self-healing. But the
main problem with this is the BIOS settings need to changed.

Does this sound reasonable? Can anyone give me any ideas or pointers to
where to begin doing this.

Thank you for your time.

-Pranav