Terminal emulation with DOS

Andy Farkas andyf at speednet.com.au
Wed Jul 23 18:53:40 PDT 2003

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003, James Dietrich wrote:

> Sorry if this post is a litte off-topic.  I am trying to set up an old
> DOS laptop as a terminal to my FreeBSD firewall/nat box.  Has anyone
> come across good (read: free) terminal emulation software for DOS?  If
> so could you point me in the right direction?

[Note: please wrap your lines]

If you don't need DOS on the laptop (or maybe you put DOS on because its a
very old slow system that wont do windows..) I suggest you put an old copy
of FreeBSD (2.2 would do) onto it.

I have an old Toshiba T5100/100 (25MHz 386DX, 4MB RAM, 120MB HD) with no
expansion slot so I cant put a network card in it. So I connect the serial
port to my gateway and use ppp to make a network connection over the
serial cable. Then, I can telnet to anywhere I want from the laptop. It
runs FreeBSD-2.0, but I've been meaning to upgrade :)  The main advantage
of this setup is the fact that FreeBSD has virtual consoles, so you can
telnet to different machines in different windows. Its a great job for an
otherwise useless piece of equipment.

 :{ andyf at speednet.com.au

        Andy Farkas
    System Administrator