Installing FreeBSD onto Vinum-volumes?

oremanj at get-linux.org oremanj at get-linux.org
Wed Jul 23 12:15:18 PDT 2003

On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 03:51:28PM +0200 or thereabouts, Eivind Olsen wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I'm about to install a new machine which will have 2 IDE-disks. I'd like to
> mirror some volumes between those disks while other volumes should be
> striped.
> I'd like to do this with FreeBSD 5.1.
>
> There's no data on the disks that I want/have to keep. Is it at all
> possible to configure Vinum and then install FreeBSD or will I have to
> install FreeBSD first and then "convert" to Vinum-volumes by manually
> editing the disklabel (with bsdlabel), calculating offsets etc.?
>
> In other words, is there an easy way to do this? :)

Maybe. Either you get to do it the hard way, or you get to use beta
software for it :-)

> (I already tried installing FreeBSD and then "converting" to Vinum but
> failed miserably and am now looking for an easy way out.)

I think Mondo <http://www.mondorescue.org> might do the job
here. Yeah, I'm biased (I ported the thing to BSD :-), but it
seriously might work.  Note that the FreeBSD port is beta, and the
links on the downloads page for it are BROKEN. [*don't use them --
use CVS*]

Install system to one HD. Make sure you have the ports collection,
CVS, and the devtools. Install these ports:
+ devel/gmake
+ devel/newt
+ lang/perl
+ shells/bash
+ sysutils/afio
+ sysutils/cdrtools

$ export CVSROOT=:pserver:anon at cvs.mondorescue.org:/mondorescue
$ cvs login
Password: <press enter>
$ cvs checkout mindi-fbsd
[snip]
$ cvs checkout mondo-devel
[snip]
$ unset CVSROOT

$ su
Password:
# cd mindi-fbsd && bash install.sh && cd ..
# cd mondo-fbsd && ./configure && make && make install && cd ..
# mondoarchive && : follow prompts && reboot && : insert CD && : interactive mode
[yes, you CAN type that command :-]

If it asks you whether to backup the MBR raw, say yes.

Make sure you set up some Vinum partitions in the mountlist
editor. Add some partitions type + mountpoint "raid", put in
/dev/vinum/something as the device (replace "something" with the
volume name you want, of course), press OK, edit that entry, select
mountpoint, press RAID.., follow prompts. Delete all non-RAID
partitions, except maybe a /boot partition or /.

Note that the RAID editor is a bit suboptimal (only uses one subdisk
per partition). Still, it works.

Do you want to partition your disks? Yes.
Do you want to format your disks? Yes.
Do you want to restore everything? Yes.

If it doesn't work, and you feel like it, email me the problem, along
with /var/log/mondo-archive.log.

HTH,
-- Josh