Dump from cron job, need to change tape

Bob Collins bob at anything-inc.com
Tue Jul 22 11:52:08 PDT 2003

At 02:06 PM 7/22/2003, oremanj at get-linux.org wrote:
>On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 10:54:48AM -0400, Bob Collins wrote:

> > >I use bacula for my home lan and fbackup on hpux.
> > >
> > >bacula uses a mysql database to keep track of your tapes (which I
> > >thought was very cool)
> >
> > Thanks to all who addressed my question. Further study showed, obviously,
> > there is no way to let dump be interactive from cron, regardless of
> > switches.
>
>Have you forgotten my screen suggestion? Seriously, it works for `dump' too!
>[see
>http://www.geocities.com/conor_daly/mondo-with-cron/mondo-with-cron.html --
>  different backup program, same concept]
>

> > So, I shall research bacula, amanda, screen, and tar, and to get going

No, I have not forgotten your screen suggestion, it is here in the above
line. I am going to research all of them. :-) Just not sure yet if cron
will call both screen and then dump and leave me interactive. If so, cool,
otherwise I'll consider my options.

> > immediately, I'll run a manual 0 level dump and then cron for level 1
> for a
> > bit. I do have a couple of BIG files which will not be updating, so
> once on
> > tape, they will be fine.
>
>If you won't use dump, I recommend afio (/usr/ports/sysutils/afio). It has
>much better integrity than compressed tar and is the same size. With screen
>if you want.
>
>-- Josh

Dump is still in contention. I'll add afio to the research list and see
what works best for my environment.

Bob