Problems printing to remote print server. (Not PC/Nix)

Malcolm Kay malcolm.kay at internode.on.net
Tue Jul 22 04:07:09 PDT 2003

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 15:57, Robert Chalmers wrote:
> The thing I have on the network isa Print Server. A DLink three port
> print server. Its not a FreeBSD box sharing print jobs, nor a W2K
> machine doing the same. Its on a network connection of its own, and the
> printers are plugged into it.
>
> oh well. I'll keep digging. :-)
>
> thanks
> Robert

I have no experience with the DLink print server but have some experience with
an HP JetDirect 4 port print server. I suspect operation is similar.

The server with respect to printing behaves very much like a unix box running
lpd. You address the server with an 'rm' entry in printcap as you would
another machine serving printers -- an IP address or name representing an IP
address.
You pick a particular printer by a name ('rp' entry) associated with the
particular port on the device -- this is probably hard coded and might be
difficult to discover -- but for what it is woth the names are raw1, raw2,
... on the HP box. If the rp entry is missing then (on the HP box) you'll
get the first port.

It is also possible to telnet into the HP box to change some configuration
parameters. You may get a menu or a response to '?' or 'help'.

This of course gives only a raw connection. You may need to supply filters or
whatever to process postscript or other source formats.

Not a definitive answer but with some luck it might help.

Malcolm Kay