Make Permission errors! Most odd.

Brad brad at perfectcircle.ca
Tue Jul 22 01:02:45 PDT 2003

I've been experiencing permission errors with make intermittently. It's happening with quite a few users on the box but it's just random. It's never a certain application or a certain user/group so it's been very hard to pinpoint what the problem is, hence why I'm posting here.

What is happening is basically a user will untar a file and type "make" after a ./configure and get "make: Permission denied". When I first encountered this I believe I chmod -R 777 * in the directory that the file was untared in and that worked for me, but for some of my users who are less experienced with freeBSD won't know how and don't know how to resolve this and it shouldn't be happening in the first place. Other users say they have gotten the error and simply logged out and back in and resolved it.

Anyone have any ideas what is causing this and how to fix it?

Thanks

-Brad