"make depend" fails, cc1: no such file

Stephen G Smith stepheng-16 at cox.net
Mon Jul 21 19:47:52 PDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-07-21 at 20:36, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 06:12:57PM -0400, Stephen G Smith wrote:
> > I am running FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE, and I want to add firewall support to
> > my kernel. So, I carefully read and followed the instructions in section
> > 9.3 of the FreeBSD Handbook. But when I run "make depend" i get this
> > error:
> >
> > cc: installation problem, cannot exec 'cc1': no such file or directory
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> > I know I have a file /usr/bin/cc, but obviously no 'cc1' anywhere.
> > Any hints?
>
> It's in /usr/libexec/, or it should be if you have a functional
> system.
>
> Kris

Well, I looked in /usr/libexec, and there was no 'cc1'. After a bit of
hunting around on the ftp site I found the directory
ftp://ftp9.freebsd.org/pub/os/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current/src/gnu/usr.bin/cc/cc1 in which there was a Makefile. Unfortunately, I don't quite know what one does with said Makefile. Am I even on the right track?

Thanks for your help

Stephen
--
Stephen G Smith <stepheng-16 at cox.net>