Crypto novice: Can't import PGP key into GNUpg

Tom Parquette tparquet at twcny.rr.com
Mon Jul 21 12:53:46 PDT 2003

Please CC me on any replies.  I subscribe to the digest format.  TIA.

I'm working on Proof-of Concept for a project at work that requires
cryptographic support (PGP).
I'm trying to test with my FreeBSD 5.1-CURRENT system at home.  The
other end is is PGP 2.6.3i running under UNIX System Servcies on a z/OS
V1.2 IBM mainframe.

It appears PGP let me generate a 2048 bit key on the mainframe.
I Emailed the public key to myself at home and I configured GNUpg 1.2.2
on my FreeBSD system.
When I try to import my mainframe public key, I get

$ gpg --import import.txt
gpg: WARNING: using insecure memory!
gpg: please see http://www.gnupg.org/faq.html for more information
gpg: invalid armor header:
mQENAz8cGboAAAEIAK2ZC+r0jLbKJvIdyL0Hox7VWXj4hBbXOzIhgy3qwgoFgBK3

I'm not sure how much of the ASCII armored message block I needed so I
tried a couple of different things.
Things are not going well...

I could use some help understanding what the import function is actually
looking for.
I'm also wondering if I have an ASCII-EBCDIC-ASCII conversion problem
that I don't know about.
(I had to copy and paste the ascii armored public key into Lotus Notes
to send it to myself at home.)

TIA for any suggestions.
Cheers...