Dump from cron job, need to change tape

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Mon Jul 21 11:56:20 PDT 2003

Bob Collins wrote:
> I hope I am not asking a NewB question, but I read through dump and
> cron and see no obvious way to run a nightly dump through cron AND
> allow user intervention to change the tape.

Unfortunately, I believe that is correct, at least for normal tape drives (ones
without a tape-silo mechanism or robotic jukebox).

> I am running a DDS2 tape drive and trying to backup around 12GB. The
> tape runs to the end, issues the end of tape, and then dump fails. I
> would like to be able to change the tape and get a backup.
>
> Do I need to use some other software, or am I missing a switch or
> something somewhere?

Run a level-0 backup by hand and swap tapes manually as needed.  Then set up an
automated level-1 backup via cron, which will hopefully give you a week or two
of incremental backups per tape.

Or get a larger capacity tape drive, not that such things are free.

--
-Chuck