Integrating windows and freebsd

John Morgan Salomon john at zog.net
Mon Jul 21 06:57:49 PDT 2003

Novell eDirectory and OpenLDAP will work very similarly.  I wouldn't
bother with eDir;  it's a hog and difficult to debug.

As for replication, we looked at DirXML, which is (a) horribly expensive,
and (b) terribly complicated.  We settled on scripting something in
Perl, which
initially just did an LDIF export on a daily basis, and by the time I
left the project,
a Perl LDAP->XML export was in discussion.

For 50 windows clients I wouldn't bother with anything too complex--I've
also done hourly passwd rsyncs for a client with a few hundred workstations.
That worked fine.

Cheers,

-John