Integrating windows and freebsd

anubis anubis357 at optusnet.com.au
Mon Jul 21 04:44:35 PDT 2003

I have 4 freebsd boxes and 1 windows 2000 server box acting as servers for
about 50 windows clients.

The boxes are used for file serving, printing, intranet, database, firewall
etc.

In the future all files will be served by samba and all web pages will be
served by apache but are now served by those and windows/iis.

We want to implement vpn and dialup access to our bsd router for our windows
laptops also.

Bearing in mind that the windows server is the current logon box for the
windows workstations, what is the best way to integrate the user information
for the freebsd boxes and the windows box.

I am looking at openldap.  Is this going to be a viable solution or is there
other options?  Has anyone tried the Novell stuff?

I would prefer something that will be able to be replicated to at least 2
machines for reliability, so basing a solution soley on the windows machine
is something that I want to avoid.

Is there a "BSD solution centre" where people have examples of how their lans
are configured and what services they are running to solve their problems?  I
seem to be able to find lots of infromation on seting up individual boxes but
not whole heterogeneous networks.