Changing gtk application fonts outside of gnome

Phil Payne phil at sal-n-phil.net
Sun Jul 20 07:43:31 PDT 2003

On Saturday 19 July 2003 7:27 pm, Matthew Graybosch wrote:
> On Saturday 19 July 2003 10:52 am, Phil Payne wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm running FreeBSD 4-stable, XFree86 4.30 & windowmaker 0.80.2.
> > Default resolution and bitdepth is 1280x1024x24.
> >
> > Whenever I start GTK based apps (e.g. evolution, pan) I'm finding
> > the application font size is too small to be readable. I've had a
> > search through the mail archives and googled but I can't find
> > anything explaining...
>
> Hi, Phil. Are you using the GTK2 versions of Evolution and Pan?

Both gtk1 and gtk2 are installed.

If I do a pkg_info -Rr on the relevant packages they have a dependency to gtk2

> pkg_info -Rr evolution-1.4.0_1 | grep gtk
Dependency: gtk-2.2.2
Dependency: gtkhtml3-3.0.5
> pkg_info -Rr pan2-0.14.0 | grep gtk
Dependency: gtk-2.2.2
Dependency: gtkspell2-2.0.4

> Are
> you also reverting back to the default (ugly) GTK2 theme?

OK... my gtk/gnome familiarity is limited. How do I tell?... and how do I
change this?

> If so, Try
> putting the following lines in either ~/.xinitrc or ~/.xsession (as
> appropriate):

> #!/bin/sh
>
> # sample ~/.xinitrc
> export GDK_USE_XFT=1
> gnome-settings-daemon &

I gave this a go and it didn't appear to change anything. What are these
commands attempting?

> exec /usr/X11R6/bin/wmaker
>
> Then restart X and see what happens. I had this problem myself, and
> had other people ask on the Libranet users' list.

Yes, there seems to be a lot of discussion about how to control GTK fonts
outside of gnome without a coherent answer. Any further help is much
appreciated.

Sorry for being such a newb about GTK sutff. Have been working with FreeBSD,
KDE and related apps for sometime with no problems but thought I'd give
windowmaker and other apps a go... expand my knowledge etc... but having
trouble.

Cheers,
Phil.