USB adn SCSI Device Numbering

Greg Pavelcak gpav at attbi.com
Sat Jul 19 04:31:06 PDT 2003

Sorry about this, as I'm pretty sure this issue has been addressed
before, but I didn't come up with the right search in the archives.

I just added an Adaptec USB2 PCI card. If I boot with my Sandisk CF
reader already plugged in, it messes up my SCSI device numbering and
booting fails. If I plug the Sandisk in after boot, the device is
recognized, and I can mount the card.

What adjustment can I make to work around this so I don't have to
remember to unplug my USB drives on the rare occasions when I reboot.
(This is just a home PC, so it's not a real big deal, but I'm sure
there's a right way to deal with this.)

Thanks.

Greg