latex and latex2e

Scott Mitchell scott+freebsd at fishballoon.org
Fri Jul 18 02:11:50 PDT 2003

On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 10:25:13AM +0200, dick hoogendijk wrote:
> As mentioned before I installed the teTeX port and indeed got latex too.
> At least there was a symlink called that way ;-))
> Reading about latex I noticed that there should be a modern variant in
> use called latex2. It also existst in ports.
>
> Has anybody a clue if (and why) the teTeX port uses another (less
> modern) latex? In other words: need I install the latex2e port too or
> should I just use the latex that came with the teTeX port?

I'm pretty certain teTeX uses some version of LaTeX2e -- it's been the
'standard' LaTeX for many years now.  Probably you can just run 'latex' and
it'll tell you what version it is.

teTeX includes pretty much everything you're likely to need for TeX/LaTeX
work.  The only things I ever added were the LyX editor and a few fonts.
LyX is a truly excellent program -- I used it to write my PhD dissertation,
and laughed at the other people struggling to do theirs in Word :-)

HTH,

	Scott