FreeBSD 4.8 Install Freeze

LLeweLLyn Reese llewelly at lifesupport.shutdown.com
Thu Jul 17 19:28:46 PDT 2003

Murat USTUNTAS <ustuntas at bimel.com.tr> writes:

> Hello All,
>
> I want to setup FreeBSD 4.8 on P3/850 with 256 Mbram.
> When I put installation CD on CDROM, booting then. In
> the `Mounting root from ufs:/dev/md0c` is freeze. What
> is the problem. I have installed with this CD a few
> hours ago some other PC.
>
> Can you help me the what is the problem?
[snip]

I don't know if this is at all the same issue, but I have a laptop,
    whose CDROM stops spinning when it thinks it isn't used, and if
    the CDROM isn't spinning, sysinstall will spit out errors when it
    tries to use it. A second or so later, the drive will start
    spinning, and if I re-try the sysinstall action that needed the
    CDROM, it will succeed. (Sorry, I don't recall the error messages;
    this was during install, I've misplaced my notebook, and I've had
    no similar problems since completing install.)