A couple of definitions

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Thu Jul 17 18:21:31 PDT 2003

LLeweLLyn Reese wrote:
> "Lin Jianfong" <ljfong at hotmail.com> writes:
>>As far as I know, objective C is sort of ancestor to C++,
>
> Not an ancestor. Objective C and C++ were seperately developed, in
>     different parts of the C community, and so far as I know there was
>     little or no communication or cross-fertilization.

Your description is pretty decent; Objective-C came from a company called
Stepstone, IIRC, and as you said, owed a lot to SmallTalk.

>     (Well, there
>     is a creature called 'Objective-C++', but I don't know much about
>     that, though I get the impression it is little used.)

The primary purpose of Obj-C was to enable code to create interface classes
between a C++ framework (say, a library for complex math operations) and Obj-C
objects used by NEXTSTEP (Cocoa, GNUstep, etc) app-- such as a GUI app written
using ProjectBuilder and InterfaceBuilder.

--
-Chuck