automatically adjusting time

David Kelly dkelly at HiWAAY.net
Thu Jul 17 12:35:21 PDT 2003

On Thursday 17 July 2003 12:28 pm, Brian Skrab wrote:
> Have a look at Chapter 19.11 (NTP) in the FreeBSD Handbook.
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-ntp
>.html
>
> I don't recall if the handbook mentions this, but you can schedule
> ntpdate to run periodically via a crontab entry, in addition to
> running at startup.

But why would one want to when ntpd is so easy to use and has the
advantage of tuning the kernel's clock for even more accurate time
keeping?

Put this in your /etc/ntp.conf to save ntp's kernel PLL tweaks between
reboots:

# Write clock drift parameters to a file.  This will allow your system
# clock to quickly sychronize to the true time on restart.
driftfile /etc/ntp.drift

David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly at hiwaay.net