Help! Is this an attack or a virus? Qmail on FBSD is flooding

keith at smmc.qld.edu.au keith at smmc.qld.edu.au
Thu Jul 17 01:56:13 PDT 2003

Hi good people.
I am not the cluiest here.
Suddenly my fbsd 4.7. qmail router/gateway is dead slow and
ps -ax reports all normal procs plus heaps! of procs like...

5567    (some flags)  0:00:02 qmail-remote hotmail.com
reaf_ha99 at smmc.qld.edu.au

The address is one of my user email accounts on qmail

What is this? Is it possible FBSD has a virus or is it a suddenly
rougue/corrupted qmail.
Wher else can I look to track this down.
I have ipfilter/ipmon/ipnat on it too.

I disconnected router from internal LAN and rebooted and after a while it
started doing it again!
So it is something on the machine.
Help please needed badly...typical..its mission critical in our school
Thanks Keith