FBSD PowerPak

Robert Storey y2kbug at ms25.hinet.net
Wed Jul 16 22:37:47 PDT 2003

I recently ordered and received the 4-CD set of FBSD 5.1.

I had presumed that this would give me a pretty complete desktop setup.
Alas, I was wrong. A lot of very commmon apps are missing, such as
Xemacs and Mplayer. It's disappointing. I only have a dialup modem. I
don't have broadband and have no hope of getting it where I live, so I
was counting on the 4-CD set to fill in the gaps.

I noticed on the FreeBSDmall web site that they sell a PowerPak with 10
CDs. This is supposed to be the entire ports collection. Sounds like
just what I need - except it's based on FBSD 4.6 which is one year old.

So my question - I am wondering if the distfiles in this PowerPak are
going to be of much use? Shelling out $40 isn't such a great hardship if
the disfiles work as advertised, but I'm going to be more than a little
pissed if it generates nothing but error messages. Does anybody know if
the PowerPak will work with 5.1? Has anyone actually tried it?

TIA,
Robert