Panic - Locking Against Myself

Jack L. Stone jackstone at sage-one.net
Wed Jul 16 07:03:52 PDT 2003

Running FBSD-4.8 Release

"Random panic & reboot" - cause locking against myself..... appears related
to "lockmgr."

I had asked the list about this a few weeks ago, but had no takers.
Previously, all I could find via google was about "lockmgr", but any
discussions was about "code" which is way beyond my skills. References were
made to "stale mounts", but there are none in this case.

I'm having the problem on a mail server that incurs the panic following an
attempt at an ssh login. It happens about once a week or so, but no pattern.

It's not hardware. Have changed everything, including the server itself --
bit, not the system contents though which remained on a new hard drive
replacement.

If anyone knows what causes this and what the fix may be, I could sure use
the help. This has been going on for several months and not a good thing.

Thanks!

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Administrator