learning PHP - book idea?

Jez Hancock jez.hancock at munk.nu
Wed Jul 16 02:57:05 PDT 2003

On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 12:21:43PM -0800, admin wrote:

> I have years of perl experience and PHP has been easy to pick up.  however, I
> am looking for a good book that can bring me way up to speed in choping htis
> stuff up better.  any recommendations there?
If you can get hold of the first edition (it's currently second edition)
of this:

Teach Yourself PHP in 24 Hours (1st Edition), Matt Zandstra, SAMS

that's a really good book just for the last 2 hours which goes into
detail about creating a web portal for multi-users to
register/login/logout/goto members page etc using PHP, MySQL and php
sessions.

I adapted the code in that book here:

http://simpleauth.munk.nu/

for a very basic tutorial codebase (basically more comments than code:).

If you already have the basics down, a good intermediate level book is:

PHP Developer's Cookbook, Sterling Hughes, SAMS

(I don't have any affiliation with SAMS, this is just a coincidence!!!)

This book has lots of instant recipes for getting specific things done,
as well as covering the use of the PEAR PHP class-based application
framework.

--
Jez

http://www.munk.nu/