Adaptec 2400A RAID controller corrupting data (4.8)

Matt Bettinger mattb at houston.rr.com
Tue Jul 15 22:23:51 PDT 2003

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 19:59:32 -0700
Matt Staroscik <matt at wrongcrowd.com> wrote:

> I have started building myself a new file server, and at the heart of
> it are 2 Maxtor 160GB drives in a RAID-1, using the Adaptec 2400a.
> Unfortunately I am having some kind of issue with data on the array
> getting corrupted.
>
> During disk activity (like makeworld, cvsup, rm -rf /usr/obj/*) I get
> kernel panics like this:
>
> dev=#da/0x20006, block=54608, fs=/usr
> panic: ffs_blkfree: freeing free block
>

> Weird thing is, this box was working GREAT just a day or so ago. I had
>
> multiple successful builds on the RAID array. But something has gone
> south.
>Many thanks in advance. When/if I solve this I will post a followup...
>
> Cheers,
> Matt

I have that card with 6 60 gig drives and set the box up (freebsd 4.7?)
and it would run for a day or so and just crash.  I also recall having
similar panics when moving large amounts of data.  I've given up on
using the box for any real work so it's just sitting doing nothing
waiting... hoping for a solution... a glimmer of hope.  ;-)

If you get it working please post.

Regards,

-mb