Seting the hardware clock

stan stanb at panix.com
Tue Jul 15 16:07:28 PDT 2003

On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 02:55:20PM -0400, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> stan <stanb at panix.com> writes:
>
> > 1. Set the hardware clock to some truly strange time (for testing
> > software).
> >
> > 2. Reboot.
> >
> >    a. time is set by the BIOS to the wrong time
> >    b. ntpdate corrects this (for the kernel).
> >    c. ntp keeps the time acurate (for this run session).
> >
> > 3. shutdown (BIOS time is not corrected).
> >
> > See the problem?
>
> Nope.  ntpd is supposed to set the CMOS clock, and it certainly does
> so for me.

Interesting. It does not do this under Linux, and I was assuming that the
behavior would be the same on FreeBSD.

I expect that now that I know thta, I understnad what happened to me.

On reboot with the CMOS clock set incorectly ntpd failed to satrt. I thien
ran ntpdate by hand. But of course ntpd was no longer running to set the
hardware clock.

Thanks for making me think this thru.

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin